1. SELECT MATERIAL
Granite & Marble Specialties offers an unparalleled selection of granite, marble, and quartz available for your perusal at our showrooms located in Kent and Seattle, WA. Our professionals are ready to assist you through your selection process.
We have an extensive selection of natural stone, including granite, marble, and quartz in stock and on display in our showroom. You are welcome to call ahead and make an appointment so we can best accommodate you. We suggest you come with a rough drawing, complete with approximate measurements and samples of any features you may wish to match to your selection of stone.
After you choose your stone, our team will contact you to schedule a day to come out to your home or business and create a custom template of your project.
- Draw a basic layout of your kitchen or bathroom on a plain sheet of paper, as if looking down from above. Please include areas where your sink, refrigerator, range, island, bars and back-splashes are located.
- Using measuring tape, take the measurement, in inches, beginning from the outside edge of your counter, the length along the wall. Then measure the width of the counter from the back to the front.
- Add approximately 1 1/2 inch of overhang on sides that do not border a wall stove or refrigerator.
- Measure the back splashes from the top of the counter surface to the top of the back splash, and remember to indicate the back splash on the layout of your countertops.
- After measuring your counters and sketching a layout, we invite you to bring your sketch to our showroom so that one of our team members can calculate the total square footage of material required for your project.
3. TEMPLATE VIEWING
After creating your custom template, we will place your template on your slab, and identify the best possible layout for correct flow of pattern and grain, ensuring seamless end results and visual harmony.
If you are purchasing new cabinets, your cabinets must be installed. If you are not purchasing new cabinets, your countertops must be cleared of all items prior to templating. If you choose, you may purchase a sink from us directly. Any appliances that will touch your countertops including your sink(s), faucets, dishwasher, ice machine, food warming drawer, stove, range, refrigerator and freezer need to be on-site at templating time.
Once the template has been created, and pattern flow lines have been established, the stone and custom template is delivered to our fabrication department where the actual cutting and fabrication occur.
Our fabrication system sends your template to our CNC stone saw which cuts exact pieces from the slabs you have chosen. The newly exposed edges are then hand created into your chosen edge profile by our expert polishers.
5. DELIVERY & INSTALLATION
Granite & Marble Specialties’ heavy duty vehicles have been specifically modified to ensure safe delivery of your new countertop. Our installation team has over 20 years of experience in delivering and installing stone slabs in the greater Puget Sound region.
Please be sure all your appliances are on site for the installation. Your inspection of the finished job is essential. The installer will walk you through an inspection and answer any questions you may have. Your approval of the installation paperwork confirms that you are 100% satisfied with the work. Our goal is for you to thoroughly enjoy your beautiful new countertops.
6. CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Congratulations! You have made a significant investment in your home by purchasing natural stone that will last you and your family a lifetime.
As marble and granite are porous natural rock, the stone requires proper care and maintenance to help your counters continue looking fabulous. The use of a sealer will help prevent staining in most situations. Even a properly sealed surface can stain if left in contact with a staining agent for an extended period of time. Therefore, all spills should be wiped up as soon as possible, and napkins or coasters should be set when serving beverages or food on a stone bar, table, or countertop. Soft drinks, coffee, tea, and fruit juices contain mild acids which can etch the polished surface of a stone and stain rather quickly. Stains should be cleaned off immediately with lukewarm water and mild soap. If left unsealed, everyday spills can easily penetrate the surface. The liquid may eventually evaporate but a stain is left behind. When your counters are installed, we will apply a complementary coat of industrial grade sealer. However, we also recommend that you apply another coat of sealer 24 hours after your counters are installed.
Applying the sealer
- Clear all objects off your countertops and clean your surface thoroughly.
- Pour sealer content into a clean spray bottle. Spray sealer across entire surface, spreading the sealer evenly using a small clean paintbrush.
- Let the sealer sit for 30 minutes. If any dry spots appear, apply more sealer to the dry area. The counters need to be evenly soaked with sealer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove all excess sealer with paper towel or clean dry cloth. If the sealer dries and leaves a film, just re-apply the sealer and wipe the surface clean. For lighter stones, particularly marble, repeat the sealing process 3 times in a 12 hour period.